Thursday, October 2, 2014

DIY - Concrete planters



 I  have a lot of succulents that needs to find new pots. Making your own planters is fun and doesn't take much time. Just need to have everything ready.
So you will need :

Plastic containers ( soft plastic )

I reuse containers, plastic cups, yogurt cups, plastic containers from the restaurant... be creative ! 
Vegetable oil ( I used canola oil ) 
Concrete, I use a mix that you can get anywhere... Of course than you can start to play and add colors, materials... 
A large bowl to mix the concrete 
A little water ( for the concrete ) 
Gloves ( latex )



Here are the plastic containers I used. You will need to find some that are soft, it makes it easier to get the planter out...



Then you fill the bottom with concrete and place the smaller container in the middle and fill in any remaining space between the two containers with more concrete. ( again make sure it's very oily )
I didn't do it but, if you want a planter with a drain I guess you can add in the bottom a piece of a cork or something with a smaller diameter that you'll remove after. ( make sure it's oiled ) 

You wait until it's dry. ( depending on the mix you are using ) 


And tada !  I made 2 of them just to make sure one of them would succeed for the picture and they both worked !



Isn't it sweet ?  It's perfect for a gift as well with a cute little plant in it.



These pansies found a new home


And my little succulent can grow until it will need a bigger pot...

Have fun making these !


Annabelle 




4 comments: