Monday, June 30, 2014

hydrangeas!

i just love them!  when i was about 12 or so, i saw a painting of a vintage bike set against a moss covered brick patch and giant wall of a variety of hydrangeas.  the painting spoke to me at that young age and there started my appreciation for hydrangeas.  to me, they represent so many things i love; they're coastal, classic, romantic and fit so nicely in so many different types of gardens.

i've been in the hobby of propagating hydrangeas for a few years now.  this time of year is the perfect time to take some cuttings and try rooting them.  i follow directions similar to the ones found here.  i keep it simple.

over the weekend, i took some cuttings from my hydrangeas and some others found in my neighbors' gardens.  when all is said in done, i now have 40 little cuttings that will hopefully turn into larger plants next spring.  i'll plant them around my yard and give some away as gifts.  

happy july, friends!











1 comment:

  1. I love them, too. I have one- either annabelle or limelight. starts out green, turns white, then turns green again as it dries. we had several oakleaf hydrangeas when we lived in the country. . . .

    ReplyDelete