Tuesday, May 28, 2013

deep greens

I hope you all had a great weekend, and if you are in the US, maybe you even enjoyed an extra long one. It's been a full week here, and then I just threw my back out (again!) so I'm a bit laid up. I didn't think I would make it here on Tend this week, but after dinner tonight I felt inspired to share my favorite way to eat kale (and my apologies ahead of time if I am starting to seem kale obsessed, haha).


I first learned about massaged greens from a friend of mine who is a caterer. I thought it sounded so fancy, and then smiled at how simple it was. I have been making my own massaged kale salads ever since, and love to sprinkle them with home made vinaigrette. It's my favorite way to enjoy kale, and I could eat it this way everyday, more than once a day.

If I'm including softer greens, like cilantro, I add them after massaging
 If you have never had massaged greens, it's a nice way to soften tougher and more bitter greens, and the leaves become infused with the flavors of the oil that you choose. I particularly love high quality olive oils, but sesame oil is a real treat as well. Simply chop your fresh greens into bite sized pieces, pour a drizzle or so of oil over them, and then basically squish firmly, or "massage" the oil into the greens with your hand. The greens will turn a very deep, vivid green color and will be soft and sort of wilty in appearance. You can then eat them as is, or add dressing or other toppings.

Garbanzo beans always make a delicious, protein rich salad topping
For my vinaigrette I just eyeball the liquids straight into the jar and mix to my taste. Everyone loves this dressing when they try it, and then are so impressed to learn it's home made. And then I can't help but feel like I cheated a little, since it's so very simple. My niece loves it so much, she recently asked for a big jar of it for her next birthday :) Sweet girl.


 Here is an attempt at rough measurements, which you will want to adjust to your taste. Makes about 2 cups of dressing:

2 cloves of fresh garlic, finely chopped
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 - 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar (start with the lesser and add to taste)
1/4 cup (or so) tamari 

I use a deep spoon to stir well and serve with.

Now serve yourself some deep greens and enjoy!



1 comment:

  1. Ooh that looks amazing! Till now, I've only cooked kale because I don't think I could stand the texture. But this would be so much better...

    ReplyDelete